An apple a day may or may not actually keep the doctor away, but what about a Pet per day? Now, that’s a fun concept. In fact, when it comes to pet ownership, there are a number of proven health benefits for people, including physical, mental and emotional improvements, from enhancing social skills to decreasing a person’s risk of heart attack.
Did you also know there is an annual Pet Calendar, for example October is known as National Pet Wellness Month, February is Dental Awareness Month and there is also a bring your Dog to Work Week.
How fun is that!
One of the fringe benefits of taking on the responsibility of pet ownership is they can be an instant icebreaker, whether they’re with you or you’ve just introduced them into your topic of conversation. I know for me I took a recent vacation in Hilton Head, which was exciting to see how Pet Friendly the beach has become. There were many Pet Families playing with their Furkids on the Beach. It was fun to see and of course my Mom went and chatted with all of the families. It’s also fun to see the number of Pet related classes and more businesses becoming Pet Friendly.
Places to Mix and Mingle with your Pet
- Training classes: Many instructors offer group classes such as puppy kindergarten, where you’ll find
- others trying to master the same pet parenting skills.
- Dog parks: A great opportunity for both you and your dog to play and interact with other dogs and ownersalike. Just be sure your dog is properly socialized and up to date on all shots before introducing it into the mix.
- Outdoor cafes: Many restaurants with outdoor seating options are also pet-friendly, and some even offer dog-specific items on the menu as well.
- Online: Dogster.com, Catster.com and PetsRFit2.com are just a few examples of popular pet-focused social networking sites that provide an instant, fun way to trade tips, trends and more.
Fun Ways to Stay Fit with Fido:
If you’re a dog owner who needs more of a workout than walking can provide, here are a few ideas:
- Jogging or running
- Doga (i.e. Yoga for Dogs)
- Agility Training (Obstacle course-based dog sport)
Pets are a great way to beat the blues. Not only are they known to they offer unconditional love, but they may also give their owners a sense of purpose, which can be crucial for those feeling down in the dumps. Pets also combat feelings of loneliness by providing companionship, which can boost your overall mood and even bring you feelings of joy and happiness.
So get out, have fun and reward your furkids, after all they reward us every day with their love and support.
For those Pet Lovers that live in Atlanta! I hope you can join me next week for this Fun Event!